Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pasta Carbonara

Monday late afternoon was overcast and really pretty cool, a great day to be out in the back yard watching the birds and seeing the sights, while drinking a glass of Albariño.

First Trumpet Vine of the Year
Brown Dog is just back from a big explore
My very first batch of pancetta (pancetta tesa, flat pancetta) was ready to sample and what better way to showcase pancetta than in pasta carbonara? I know it is traditionally made with spaghetti, but can I just say that spaghetti is not my favorite cut? I like a pasta with more bite and the linguine that you see below and all over the floor when it escaped from Ann is about as thin a cut as I like.
World's Simplest Pasta: eggs, cheese, pancetta
What to drink with carbonara? I would drink Brunello if I could afford it, but I cannot, so the next best thing is Rosso di Montalcino, baby Brunello.
52 card pickup?

Linguine alla Carbonara
And the verdict on my pancetta? The best I've ever eaten and it cost me less than half the price of buying it already made. I don't think I'll ever be going back to commercial pancetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...