Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sunday Grazing

Last Sunday, Ann and I indulged in our annual ritual of attending the Greek Festival at the local Greek church. Compared with years past, it was a rainy and somber affair. We usually have a big crew with us and while we have a blast and many bottles of cheap Greek wine are consumed, it is the after-party at our house that has caused many a person to regret having to go to work the following morning! But this year, things didn't turn out that way and I am really OK with it. I have a herniated disk in my back that is putting a damper things and a quiet Sunday is a good Sunday. We ended up meeting my daughters there and having gyros, baklava, and galaktoboureko under the big tent in the pouring rain and catching up with them until they had to go.

Knowing that it would be just the two of us afterwards back at home (the 14-year old is not speaking to us now and is certainly not socializing with us), Ann and I had discussed earlier in the week making a batch of fresh mozzarella and having that with tomatoes.

Olives, Tomatoes, Salame, Goat Cheese, Oh My!
Well, as you can see, it didn't turn out that way because Saturday at the market, Suzanne from Shepherd's Whey Creamery delivered one of her Valençay-style cheeses to me, one that she had been keeping and aging for me. And it was perfectly soft and ready to eat, so we scrapped the mozzarella idea in favor of the goat cheese. While I was resting my back on the sofa, Ann put together this delicious board of olives, tomatoes (yellow, green, and black), salame, and the goat cheese. What you don't see here is her wonderful loaf of sage bread to go with. It was awesome!

This Goat Cheese is Nasty! Yum!
And so we settled in with a movie and grazed our way through a rainy Sunday afternoon. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...