Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tacos de Chorizo

Sometimes, I just get cravings and that makes it really easy to decide what to eat. It's those times when I have nothing specific in mind that makes it hard to decide what to make, because I love just about everything. Yesterday was not one of those indecisive days: I woke up craving tacos de chorizo.

And not just tacos de chorizo, but tacos of nicely spicy sausage topped with a sweet-tangy mango salsa and plenty of raw onions and cilantro. And that is precisely what I made.

I prepped the fruit and vegetables all at once over the course of about 15 minutes while talking with Carter about his homework: mango, white onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, poblano, and garlic. The mango went in a bowl with a bunch of green onions, one quarter of a white onion, half a bunch of cilantro, half the (admittedly huge) jalapeño, and 5-6 gloves of minced garlic. This I mixed with a bit of salt, juice of a big lime, and just a touch of agave nectar to balance it out. Notice the color of the salsa. I wanted a fresh, bright green relish to top off the tacos.

Mango Salsa: Sweet, Tangy, Spicy, and Very, Very Fresh

I bought some locally made chorizos, labeled "del Perron" (big dog), which were touted as super-picante. Really? I didn't notice. Setting aside one quarter of the white onion and the other half of the bunch of cilantro for garnishing the tacos, the remainder of the ingredients went into the pan: 5-6 cloves of garlic, half a white onion, the remaining half jalapeño, and a whole poblano. Once these started to work a bit, in went the chorizos and in seconds, we were eating.

Tacos de Chorizo Fully Garnished with Mango Salsa, Onions, Cilantro
Fresh, simple, and craving oh-so satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...