Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner

Don't you just love breakfast for dinner? Isn't there something fun about eating so-called breakfast foods for dinner? I'm not sure why this appeals to us so, maybe it's just a non-conformist kind of thing, or a reversion to childhood thing, but for whatever reason, I just love savory breakfast foods for my evening meal every once and a while.

Devastatingly Awesome Pork Belly and Grits
Sunday morning, I had planned to serve pork and grits, a dish that regularly features as an appetizer on the restaurant menu, but one that merely because it is restaurant food, I never eat, ever. For some reason, I just got a hankering to taste the pork and grits that our customers love so much, so I brought home some pork belly, some grits, and a little maple syrup to make the dish for Sunday breakfast with our coffee before we headed out to Linden to drink some wine.

Long story short, I got a crappy night's sleep (I lay awake and poured the same four wines into glasses every minute or two between 2 and 5am, a sommelier's nightmare) and so I didn't awaken until 9am or slightly after. I have to be up a couple of hours before I tuck into breakfast (I cannot face the thought of eating before then). Had we eaten at 11, we wouldn't have wanted lunch at around 2 when we planned to eat with friends at the winery. So, we punted on the breakfast and pushed it off to dinner.

Doesn't a big old bowl of warm breakfasty food sound awesome after a hard afternoon's drinking? You bet!

As currently incarnated at the restaurant, pork and grits is a bowl of course yellow grits, topped with a slice of crispy pork belly—belly that we cure in house from awesome Berkshire hogs, topped with a poached egg, and ringed with local hickory syrup. I brought all of this home, except I brought maple syrup instead of hickory, for our breakfast. But by dinner time, we were not all that keen on the sweet component, so I rewarmed and poured over some awesome green chile left from last weekend's breakfast-for-dinner debauchery.

This is manna from the food gods. Praise be to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...