Monday, August 11, 2014

Focaccia

I learned about fougasse in the south of France long before I had heard of focaccia, which seems to be nearly ubiquitous here in the US now. I've also heard it called both fouace and fouée as well in France. In Liguria which sits directly between the south of France and Italy proper, I know people who call it fugàssa (and some who pronounce it minus the final vowel as in fougasse) and over the Pyrenees, it is called mainly hogaza but also fogassa in some regions. But it all stems from the Latin panis focacius, literally hearth bread. By any name, it is a simple and delicious bread and I set about making some this weekend.

Baked Focaccia Topped with Pesto and Tomatoes

Dough on Final Rise

Ready for the Oven, Topped with Olive Oil and Truffle Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...