Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Trying to Feel Normal

I told Ann before her father's funeral that we were going out on Monday night for our first date in almost two months to try to get away from the house and our problems and simply to try to feel normal again, whatever normal is now. What a long, strange journey these past couple of months have been.

We almost gave into the temptation just to stay home but I insisted that we go out though neither of us felt like it. I decided to go to Awabi to get some sushi and sashimi because that it pretty much the one food I don't cook at home. Besides, Marcus and Emma are great people and I wanted to give them some business on a brutally cold winter Monday. And I just don't need an excuse to eat sushi. It is one of my very favorite foods.

Spicy Tuna Temaki

Unagi and Rainbow Roll
As always, I let Ann do the ordering. For the most part, I don't really care what I eat; I like it all. My style is just to go omakase and let the chef send out whatever he wants. Ann's tastes run more to maki; mine to nigiri or sashimi. I did insist on some saba because I love pickled mackerel.

Some sushi, a few Kirin beers, some conversation with Marcus and Emma, and a couple hours later we left feeling a bit more normal. We were both glad that we got out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Chef, New Trick

The last time I ate at Taco Bell would have been when my daughters were tiny young things. My eldest, Lillie, loved their bean burritos and ...