Monday, June 20, 2022

Father's Day: Beef Short Ribs

On my last run to Costco to get paper towels and toilet paper, I happened by a meat case that had a very few trays of phenomenal looking beef short ribs. And so I fell into the Costco trap, the MO of their business model: I came for the low-priced staples and walked out with an impulse buy. I am not an impulse buyer, except when it comes to food. If I see something interesting to cook, it is coming home with me. You'll never see me loading up on clothes or sweets, but I will splurge on short ribs!

This is a ton of meat for Ann and me, but fortunately, we had surprise guests for Father's Day weekend and I used that as an excuse to braise short ribs for Father's Day. I browned the ribs, then made a braising sauce from mirepoix, rehydrated dried porcini, leftover Super Tuscan Sangiovese, a tiny bit of leftover heavy cream, tomato paste, and veal glace. The ribs braised for 4-5 hours while we showed our guests the town of Bend.

Back at home and after pulling the ribs out of the oven, I removed the meat from the braising pan and defatted the sauce, while cooking a batch of Israeli couscous. I mixed some of the sauce into the couscous and divided it between bowls, topping each with a rib and more sauce. Delicious but incredibly rich, almost too rich for people who don't as a rule eat rich food!

Happy Father's Day to me!

Ribs, Sangiovese, Cream, Tomato Paste
Porcini, Parsley Stems, Celery, Onion, Carrot, Garlic
After Browning the Ribs, Making the Braising Sauce:
Sangiovese, Veal Glace, Heavy Cream, and Water
Ready for the Oven
Pregaming with Moscow Mules on the Patio
Out of the Oven, Prior to Defatting the Sauce
Et Voilà!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...