Thursday, September 14, 2023

Black Bean Tostadas with Poached Eggs

Huevos Rancheros, rancher-style eggs, makes a wonderful breakfast and, in my book, an even better dinner. It's a dish that Americans love and have adopted and modified (or corrupted, depending on your punto de vista) and taken (or stolen) as their own. The original dish was probably lightly fried tortillas topped with eggs and pico de gallo (salsa fresca), but has evolved beyond that, especially in the States where it almost always includes beans and cheese. Following is another loose variation on the theme, black bean tostadas with poached eggs, from a dinner last week.

Black Bean Tostadas with Poached Eggs
While I love to fry tortillas in oil for the rancheros, it's better on my waistline if I bake them between two baking sheets so they become tostadas. About 25 minutes in a moderate oven with a couple of turns will do it. Baking them between two sheet trays keeps them relatively flat.

Tortillas Baked Between Two Sheet Trays
Left over in the fridge, I had a little salsa colorada (dried red chiles, chile soaking liquid, garlic, Mexican oregano, and salt, all blended and fried in oil, then thickened with a little masa harina). So I put a bit of that on top of the tostadas before spooning on frijoles refritos (see below). The salsa helps start softening the tostadas so they become more like the lightly fried traditional tortillas.

Salsa Colorada
While the tostadas were in the oven, I made some quick refried black beans, cheating by starting with two cans of precooked black beans. I start by cooking very finely minced onion with minced garlic and minced cilantro stems in oil (lard, traditionally) until the onions are translucent. Then in go the beans and some liquid (bean cooking liquid, stock, water, whatever). You wouldn't hate me if I said that a finely minced chipotle may have fallen by accident into the pan as well?

Next, as the beans start to come up to a gentle boil, I introduce them to my bean masher, Sra. Machadora, my antique maple bean masher. After working them over for a few minutes until they are smooth, but not too smooth, I reduce the liquid to the consistency I want and then season them. Don't salt them before reducing the liquid or you risk oversalting them. 

Introducing the Beans to the Machadora (Bean Masher)
To complete the dish, we need some salsa fresca aka pico de gallo. I wasn't looking for anything fancy here, just a rough condiment of tomato, onion, serrano, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. It could not be any simpler, or better for that matter. 

Salsa Fresca/Pico de Gallo
The plate-up is trivial. Schmear the tostadas with salsa colorada, spoon over the frijoles, and add a poached egg. Most versions use fried eggs, but I love poached eggs. They are way sexier than fried eggs, plus I can cook six at a time versus only three fried eggs. I prefer to serve everyone at the same time. On top of the eggs, a spoonful of salsa colorada and another of pico de gallo with a sprinkle of grated cotija cheese finish the dish. ¡Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...