Monday, May 13, 2024

Simple is Best

The Bend Farmers Market is finally back in action after a long winter, letting us switch from sourcing ingredients at the store to supporting our local farmers. This last week, we grabbed a lot of good things: salad greens, arugula, hakurei turnips, sablefish, and beef short ribs. I'm not big on steak, but I love ribs.

Roasted Beef Short Ribs
Friday, while I browned the beef ribs on the stove top, rotating them to cook each of the six sides, I cut some celery and carrots into bite-size pieces. Then I peeled all the cloves of garlic from a head. Into a roasting pan went the celery, carrots, and garlic, then I added a few sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh sage.

Very Lean Short Ribs
Once the beef had browned, I deglazed the pan with a very little bit of water, a couple tablespoons really, and poured that over ribs and vegetables in the roasting pan. After covering the pan tightly with foil, I put it in a slow 275F oven and left it for 4-1/2 hours.

Oven-Ready Ribs and Vegetables
To serve, I spooned vegetables in a bowl, put the ribs over, drizzled it all with a bit of the juices in the bottom of the roasting pan, and gave it all a good sprinkle of salt. This is about as easy as dinner gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deschutes River Trail: Riley Ranch to Tumalo

I haven't done much exploring along the Deschutes on the north side of Bend, which makes some sense as we live on the south side of town...