Friday, April 20, 2012

Backyard Bounty


I had a tasting at the restaurant last evening and because of lots of other things going on, I wasn't able to focus on the menu in advance. Thursday morning dawned with no plan. But, while I was out walking the dogs, I saw that some of the locust blooms were just starting to open and that gave me the little spark I needed. I walked around the backyard with a bag and collected edibles, both wild and domesticated, for my dinner.

From the lower left clockwise: lemon balm, citrusy in a lemongrass kind of fashion; sheep sorrel, tart and lemony in that oxalic sourgrass way; wild mustard leaves and blooms, sharp and fresh just like domestic mustards; black locust blossoms, tasting divinely like a mix of green pea and honeysuckle; sugar snap tendrils, tasting just like the snap pods themselves; fennel fronds, tasting just like the yet-to-develop bulbs; lovage, like celery with a twist; and cilantro blossoms, gorgeous and tasting like the rest of the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...