Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Sunday: Grilling Pork and Baking Orzo

Every year I forget how loud Easter sunrise services are behind our house at the Baptist church. Again this year, seemingly just after I had fallen asleep, the crowd under the shelter behind the church was making plenty of racket and had the dogs riled, dogs that would normally stay quiet for another hour. But that racket was nothing compared to when the preacher started railing at 7am. I can't imagine sitting through someone screaming at me like that, but I guess that's the show that these folks want. In any case, I was up far before I wanted to be and decided to put the day to good use.

After some pretty nice spring weather last week, Sunday dawned late, a bit grey and chilly, gusty with lots of intermittent clouds, but no rain. Because I was up early, I was able to get a bit of pergola painting done, go for a long walk with Ann in the afternoon, and come dinner time, grill our pork chops outside. Easter dinner was an impromptu affair this year: I kicked in some leftover pork chops from the restaurant and Ann made a delicious orzo casserole. Unlike other years, we had no company for Easter.

Cool and Overcast Does not Stop the Grill
With Easter being so early this year, our spring flowers are not as advanced as most years. I took a wander about the yard to see what I could see. Aside from daffodils and anemones, nothing doing unlike in years past when lots of things have been in bloom.

Tulips Making Their Annual Appearance

Anise Hyssop Just Starting 

Robin's Nest from the Pergola I was Painting

Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
While I was out painting, Ann thought she would surprise Carter with some banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. We went for a walk after the cupcakes came out of the oven and while they were cooling enough to frost. Naturally, Carter, being the teenager he is, took exception to the frosting and was kind of a douche about it. He even called us while we were walking to request/demand that Ann not frost the cupcakes. Typical grateful teenager. I tried a small bite of a cupcake; it was delicious, but I don't really eat sweets. Ann's an awesome mom to do these things for a teenager who thinks she's the stupidest person on the planet. The good news is that he will grow up one of these days. Probably about the time his kids are rolling their eyes at him!

The Orzo Queen

Orzo with Tomatoes, Olives, Artichoke Hearts, and Fresh Mozzarella
Ann made a big casserole of tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, and fresh mozzarella to go with the pork chops. It was delicious as is everything that she makes. I know she hates the photo above of her making the orzo but I love her smile! Thanks for the orzo girlfriend! It was great and so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Cassoulet

In response to yet another snowy stretch in March, Ann and I were looking for something warm and comforting. One of us suggested a White Chi...