Monday, August 28, 2017

Saying Goodbye

Our plans are starting to gel a bit: the movers are coming on the 15th and we are out then or the next day. We have rented a house for a few weeks in Yamhill, OR. With our leaving being pretty much imminent at this point, my father wanted to come say goodbye. At his age and in his state of not awesome health, he probably had no business making a long, long drive, but he is a stubborn son of a gun. He drove up from his house in Alabama and arrived on Thursday at my aunt and uncle's house in the hills near Burlington WV, a wide spot on US 50 slightly east of Keyser. We drove out from our house on Friday and spent the night catching up one last time before we head west for good.

Susan and Marshall live south of Route 50 back up on a pretty decent hill (about 1200 feet) that has wonderful views of the surrounding mountains, especially from their spacious rear deck. Their house is situated on a very lightly traveled dirt road that just invites you to take a walk through the woods and take in your surroundings. It's a very peaceful place and I really enjoy going there. A bonus is that Susan has several bird feeders at one end of her deck along with a couple of hummingbird feeders hanging from an awning. It's a lot of fun to sit there and watch the birds do their thing, especially the noisy hummers jockeying for feeder rights.

View From the Back Deck
Annie in Doggie Heaven
Charlie Liked Standing on the Bench
Susan and Marshall with Their Dogs
My Father
Happy Hour on the Deck
Ann's still learning about the birds that visit feeders and she is confused, like most people, about the difference between Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers. They look almost identical. But the Hairy is very much larger than the Downy, has a much stouter and longer bill, and a lower call. It was great for Ann to see both birds side-by-side on the feeder so that she could see the differences up close.

Male Hairy Woodpecker, Leuconotopicus villosus
Female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris
Dad and Marshall Walking the Dogs
We spent a good bit of time outside enjoying the wonderful fall weather that we're having now. It's weather that we should be having a month from now. The only downside is that we usually get about six weeks off from mowing grass this time of year, but not this year. Taking advantage of the cool weather, we took a bunch of walks and I spent some time kicking around the yard where Susan has her tiny garden inside a chain-link fence to keep the deer out. Growing up one side of the fence and covered in hummingbirds was this beautiful Cypressvine, something I have never seen before.

Cypressvine, Ipomoea quamoclit
Sweet Autumn Clematis, Clematis terniflora
Clematis Blooms Up Close
I saw three wildflowers up in the dry shale woods that I have never seen before, including this lavender-blooming mint which was growing everywhere. When I rubbed the leaves, they smelled harshly of oregano. Susan called it Wild Oregano.

American Dittany/Wild Oregano, Cunila origanoides
Another new flower to me was a handsome plant with white bracts surrounding a tiny yellow flower, Pearly Everlasting. I knew what it was based on some western wildflower books I am reading in preparation for moving to Oregon, but I have not encountered it in the east before.

Pearly Everlasting, Anaphalis margaritacea
Catnip, Nepeta cataria
Deptford Pink, Dianthus armeria
This August has been significantly wetter than most and I noticed that the Creeping Lespedeza is doing particularly well this year. Now that we are almost at the first of September, it is blooming profusely all over our region.

Creeping Lespedeza, Lespedeza repens
Toxic Horse-nettle Fruit, Solanum carolinense
The shale in this part of Mineral County WV is full of fossils, full to the point where it is nearly impossible not to see many fossils on a single walk. We saw many types of small shells in the shale as well as worm tubes.

Fossils in the Shale
Our Ladies'-tresses at home are pretty well bloomed out, but we saw a couple, not many, that were just starting to bloom up on the mountain. Some while ago, I would have said what species of Spiranthes this plant is, but I have since learned that there are probably at least a dozen species in our area and I really have no idea which this might be, despite my prior confidence borne of ignorance.

Ladies'-tresses, Spiranthes sp.
Sulphur Cinquefoil, Potentilla recta
The Snakeroots have been starting to bloom in recent weeks and they are always cheerful plants to see when we hike. Boneset is another plant that whose bloom looks similar and can be confusing for some people. The two have very different leaves and growth habits despite having very similar blooms. It was instructive to see the two plants blooming right next to each other so that we could look at the differences comparatively.

White Snakeroot, Ageratina altissima
Common Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum
with Copulating Soldier Beetles
Staghorn Sumac, Rhus typhina
To be expected at this time of year, the roadsides and woods were littered with goldenrods in full bloom. I have a very hard time separating goldenrods, but this one, growing in a wetter location with long narrow lanceolate leaves and relatively small flower clusters, struck me as being fairly different from the ones that I usually see. I came to find out this it is not a Solidago at all but a Euthamia.

Lance-leaved Goldenrod, Euthamia graminifolia
We were very pleased to see that every patch of milkweed along the road had its share of Monarch Butterfly larvae.

Monarch Butterfly Larva, Danaus plexippus
on Common Milkweed, Asclepias syriaca
Wingstem is a plant that I have been waiting to see in person. I have always been struck by the flowers in photos and I was no less struck when I saw the very tall plants in person. This patch ranged from 5- to 8-feet high.

Wingstem, Verbesina alternifolia
Thistle with Soldier Beetle and Bumblebee
Common Elderberry, Sambucus canadensis
Rose Hips
Another plant that Susan showed me is the Hop-hornbeam, Ostrya virginiana. I have seen a lot of them, but never with the hop-like fruit capsules.

Hop-Hornbeam "Hops", Ostrya virginiana
Chestnut Oak, Quercus montana
Lake Down in the Creek Bottom
It was a great visit with my father and my aunt and uncle. Saying goodbye is the part of moving on that really bothers me but going to Oregon is something that Ann and I just have to do.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I stop by now and again as I always enjoy your hikes, and especially the photos of the wildflowers which I am very grateful that you identify. And there are those beers you talk about and us being total novices but enjoying a good glass of the hops, we like to learn. The most important reason though, I wanted to wish you and Ann bon voyage before you head to Oregon, a great state and one Gregg and I have visited several times over the years. Wishing you both many happy years full of great adventures in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind wishes. Please feel free to continue to follow our adventures out west in alien country where everything will be new to us. Sure, we've visited the area, but still I don't know it in the sense that I know Virginia where I was born and raised and where I have spent the vast majority of my life.

    Here I know most things that I see both flora and fauna, can identify the birds by their calls, know when the seasons change, how our weather patterns go, which mountain is which, when to plant the garden, and on and on, things born of a lifetime here. In Oregon it will all be new and for a time, it will all be firsts for us. That's super exciting!

    As for beer, it is so different now than it was formerly: you can find a great local beer almost anywhere in Virginia now. The only way to learn is to keep trying and could learning be any more fun than that? As for us, fear not. Though Pinot Noir is motivating our move to Oregon wine country, we are also moving to one of the brewing capitals of the country.

    All our best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I look forward to reading about your adventures in Oregon. Have to say I am a tad envious as I think it is a most beautiful state. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

Oregon Badlands: Reynolds Pond

It's been about three weeks since the ice melted on the Deschutes River Trail and I've been taking advantage of that to walk through...