Friday, June 26, 2020

Salsa Verde

Fair warning: although this post is ostensibly about salsa verde, it's really about putting a delicious and healthy dinner on the table quickly, with a minimum of effort.

Salsa Verde

Tomatillos are dirt cheap at the market right now, something like 88 cents a pound, so it's definitely time to take advantage of that. It pains me something awful to see people shelling out good money for bottled salsa verde when it is so easy to make something that it so much better in quality for very little effort.

Salsa verde is nothing more than tomatillos (generally called tomates in Spanish, with jitomates reserved for red actual tomatoes), serrano chiles, garlic, and onion, all roasted. After roasting, the vegetables are blended with fresh cilantro and lime juice to taste. 

Tomatillos, Serranos, Garlic, and Onion Ready to Roast

You'll notice in the photo above that I have not peeled the garlic, just sliced it in half. After it roasts, I just squeeze the roasted garlic out of the husks and pitch the husks. Much easier than peeling garlic before cooking.

I used a kilo (2 pounds) of tomatillos, six serranos, a head of garlic, and an onion. Then I finished it in the food processor with the leaves from a bunch of cilantro, the juice of a lime, and salt. Because I wanted this batch of salsa very thick, my yield was about a pint, two cups. I could have thinned it with water.

If the salsa is to be served and eaten right away, it can be served just like this. If you want to keep the salsa in the refrigerator, it is best to cook it in a frying pan for a few minutes with water as necessary to thin as you see fit. You can see that my salsa is vibrant green and thick: I made it to be eaten right away. The raw cilantro in it will rot if you try to store it for any length of time without cooking it.

I make and keep several salsas in the refrigerator to make it dead simple to have tacos for dinner with no fuss. I freaking love tacos. So that everyone can assemble custom tacos, I put all the toppings together and let them roll their own.

Taco Toppings: Tomatoes, Cilantro, Cotija, Nopalitos, Romaine, Salsa Verde

For our tacos the other evening, I seared a piece of Pacific Cod rubbed in cumin, garlic, and Mexican oregano (very different than Greek oregano). 

Pacific Cod Tacos de Pescado











No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...