Saturday, December 26, 2020

Kale Salad with Pomegranate, Asian Pear, and Guanciale

It's not often that I manage to make something that Ann won't eat. But this Christmasy kale salad is beyond her limits. I ended up eating two huge kale salads for consecutive meals.

Kale Salad with Pomegranate, Asian Pear, and Guanciale
She had a brief flirtation with wanting to eat more leafy greens and asked me to make a kale salad with bacon. She has never liked kale in the past and so her request surprised me, but ever eager to please her, I made this salad of kale, pomegranate seeds, cucumber, Asian pear, guanciale (smoked hog jowl, the only bacon-like substance that we have in the house) with a balsamic vinaigrette.

In my experience, the only way to make raw kale edible in a salad is to literally drench it in a high-fat dressing and this dressing was anything but high in fat. By so drenching it, you lose any benefits of eating the kale. I enjoyed it to a certain extent, especially all the bits at the bottom of the salad bowl, but eating raw kale to me has something in common with rubbing salt in your wounds: you'll survive it, but it isn't a pleasant experience.

No more kale salads for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...