Saturday, May 6, 2023

Doenjang Noodles

Ann has been feeling her kitchen oats a bit recently, coming up with dishes that she wants to make. And I could not be happier. She's a wonderful cook and I love the break from having to come up with dinner all the time. Well, that's a bit of a lie just now. My foot is just healed and out of the cast and I am starting to walk gingerly and I'm itching to get back into the kitchen. Despite my jones to be back in the kitchen, I'm still happy to sit at the counter and watch Ann work.

Doenjang-Gochujang Perciatelli
Last night being my first tentative foray into walking unassisted by crutches in almost three months, we decided to celebrate with a bottle of Champagne. As we were sitting on the sofa chatting over Champagne, Ann decided that she would make a dish for me that she has been planning for some weeks. The dish in question hails from the NY Times and is called quite unimaginatively Doenjang Noodles.

Doenjang Noodles is pretty much the recipe, too. The par-cooked noodles are finished in a sauce of a quarter cup of doenjang whisked into a pint of milk, end of story. The dish is garnished with a few grinds of black pepper and a grate or two of pecorino romano.

Measuring the Doenjang and Milk
While I believe that the idea of the NYT recipe was to be an umami-laden ersatz alfredo, we like a bit more flavor in our pasta. After tasting the pasta, Ann ended up doubling the inoffensive amount of doenjang in the original recipe along with adding a big glob of spicy gochujang. 

I Love This Woman!
What a really easy and tasty pasta for a quick meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...