Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Awabi, Winchester VA

The stars rarely ever align for us. But they did yesterday. Ann and I both had haircuts downtown at lunch time and then we had a meeting at 3pm on the south side of town. After our haircuts, we had about 90 minutes to kill and we just came off the busiest Saturday ever in the history of the restaurant and were in the mood to celebrate. Sushi time!

We dropped into Awabi on Winchester's Old Town Mall just a few storefronts from where we get our hair done, and coincidentally, just 125 yards from our restaurant. Because the day was so gorgeous, we decided to sit outside under an umbrella and take in the beautiful day, listening to the kids romp on the splash pad next door. I went inside briefly to let them know that we were there and immediately got into an animated conversation with Marcus and Emma. It was a long, cold winter with no income and so we hadn't been out to eat sushi in forever, so we had a lot of catching up to do. And now their baby is a year old! How did that happen?

A Gift from Marcus
I was taking so long inside that Ann came to find me and finally after a few more minutes of catching up (and talking shop about a person that we had both fired), Ann and I headed outside to start thinking about lunch. Meanwhile, Marcus brought us this delicious roll that he named after his new baby boy. It is squid, salmon, shrimp, and shiso. I really enjoyed it and though I am not the world's biggest shiso fan, I thought that it worked really well in this roll.


Kanpai!

A Rainbow of Rolls
I left the ordering to Ann. She loves the crazy maki and so I let her do her thing. I'll eat just about anything, though my preference in sushi runs to nigiri. It was so much fun acting like real people, sitting outside on the Mall, chatting away and eating a leisurely lunch like we had no cares in the world. The stars did truly align yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Cassoulet

In response to yet another snowy stretch in March, Ann and I were looking for something warm and comforting. One of us suggested a White Chi...