Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bacon Cheeseburger

I had pork tenderloin and fresh asparagus in the refrigerator for Monday night dinner. But when it came right down to it, I just wasn't in the mood for eating well or eating that. Like the proverbial grizzly bear in the berry patch, I have gorged myself on asparagus for three straight weeks eating at least a half a pound a day. To quote the great B.B. King who died this week, "The thrill is gone."

And besides, I wanted something from the grill, something more traditional than grilled pork tenderloin. Damn it. I wanted a bacon cheeseburger. Inside my head, Jimmy Buffett was singing to me all morning as I thought about what to make for dinner. And so I didn't even ask Ann what she wanted for dinner. I just brought home the fixings for bacon cheeseburgers. For the record, not even a peep of displeasure was heard from her and even Carter was excited by the prospect. Also for the record, I made him two half-pound burgers, a solid pound of burger. Oh to be a teenager again! NOT!

Yum!
My idea of a great burger is a half-pound burger cooked rare to medium rare with melted cheddar cheese, thick bacon, tangy fresh pickles (love the crinkle-cut slices from Clausen), and Dijon mustard on a toasted Kaiser roll. Your idea may be different, but this is my blog and my burger!

Patrick's Potion
Ann wanted me to make a cocktail before dinner, so I made a couple of these Cognac cocktails that I call Patrick's Potion, a slight reimagining of the delightful classic Crusta cocktail (itself a Sidecar derivative) that we were introduced to at Thistle Restaurant in McMinnville OR by bartender Patrick Bruce. Wrong glassware, but what the hell: it's a great cocktail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...