Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken Noodle Soup
Yesterday, Monday, was a long day for me and I knew I wouldn't be getting home early and wouldn't feel like making dinner, so Ann and I made plans to go out, just the two of us, and relax. All couples do discuss dinner first thing in the morning, correct?

But around 4:00, I got a text saying that Ann didn't feel up to dinner, that she was nauseated from her meds. That changed everything. Even though I was looking forward to a dinner out and a night of not having to cook, there was only one thing to be done: make a big pot of chicken noodle soup full of ginger, a natural antiemetic.

On the way home, I bought a big package of chicken leg quarters, a kilo of udon, ginger, garlic, cilantro, green onions, and preserved vegetable (pickled mustard stems in chile oil). The result, seasoned with soy sauce and ginger salt, was better than any dinner we could have had at any restaurant in town. This is my bowl topped with a lot of spicy, crunchy preserved vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oregon Badlands: Reynolds Pond

It's been about three weeks since the ice melted on the Deschutes River Trail and I've been taking advantage of that to walk through...