Thursday, July 23, 2015

CLT

Monday was Carter's 16th birthday and Ann let me know that he wanted BLTs for dinner. Unfortunately, we got clobbered at the restaurant Saturday night and sold out of every single tomato. Moreover, none of our tomatoes are yet ripe (and at the rate that the birds are pecking them, we may never have any ripe tomatoes this season) and the farmers market doesn't go until Tuesday. How to make a BLT without tomatoes?

Chicken, Lettuce, and Tomato
I decided on using a roasted chicken, figuring that this is something that Carter would eat. At times, he will eat just about anything; at other times, just about nothing. Typical teenager, I guess. I never went through that. My siblings called me the Vacuum Cleaner: anything that they didn't want, mainly vegetables, ended up on my plate and was inhaled.

CLT in Progress
So, back to the sandwich. It's built from grilled and toasted focaccia spread with saffron aioli, red leaf lettuce, thick-cut bacon roasted on a sheet tray in the oven, and sliced chicken breast. No complaints from the peanut gallery. When making a lot of sandwiches, it's often a lot easier to make one gigantic sandwich and cut it down into smaller ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oregon Badlands: Reynolds Pond

It's been about three weeks since the ice melted on the Deschutes River Trail and I've been taking advantage of that to walk through...