Friday, February 19, 2016

Quick Shrimp Salad

Last post, I wrote about Ann pulling odds and ends out of the freezer. She also pulled out a bag of cooked salad shrimp, which are always useful to have in the freezer for an emergency. A quick rinse under cold water and they are ready to eat.

Shrimp and Vegetable Salad
In the midst of a cold and barren winter, I wanted something fresh, crunchy, and a little exotic to take me away from here, at least for ten minutes or so. So I endeavored to make a quick salad of the shrimp with lots of crunchy vegetables, Thai basil, and a quick Thai-inspired dressing. The salad ingredients aside from the shrimp are grape tomatoes, cucumbers, orange peppers, canned baby corn, sugar snaps, and Thai basil. The dressing is fish sauce, brown sugar, crushed chile peppers, and garlic. None of this is in season now and that vexes the seasonalist in me, but filled my need for a little temporary escapism from the doldrums of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...