Thursday, July 21, 2022

Chicken Confit and Asparagus Pizza

Food posts are few and far between this summer as we enjoy all that the surrounding majestic outdoors has to offer. Summer dinners are quick, sometimes cold, sometimes eaten out with beers after an outdoor day. Often, we eat a late lunch and this suffices for our dinner. This time of year, I probably cook something creative only once a week, saving up my creative energies for the short, dark days of winter.

A weekend back, we went to the home of some new friends, Ken and Dawn, to enjoy pizza on their back patio. We had a great time and it was my first time using an Ooni pizza oven, which worked really well. I was impressed at the little oven that could. I made a batch of Malbec-pineapple sorbet to take along and at the end of the evening, I left the sorbet with Dawn and she sent me home with a pizza dough.

Chicken Confit and Asparagus Pizza
That pizza dough stayed in our fridge for a few days until we were home for dinner. Scrounging the fridge, I came up with enough to make a pie: the last piece of chicken confit from the batch I made back in May, a few stalks of asparagus, and a block of pecorino romano. Shaping the dough, I rubbed the top with a bit of garlic oil left from making garlic confit. Then I decorated the pie with shreds of chicken, slivers of asparagus, and thin slices of pecorino.

The pie didn't brown well, most likely as a result of it having overproofed during its long stay in the refrigerator, but still, it was delicious and quite a quick treat on a hot summer night.

Dawn, thanks for the dough and the hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...