Monday, November 13, 2023

Brisket with the Boys

Somehow Ann and Dyce are joined at the hip and are constantly texting back and forth. This time, unbeknownst to me, they schemed up a dinner Wednesday last week for which Rob would smoke a brisket and I would make a "sexy potato dish." Don't take this the wrong way. I'm always game for dinner and I hardly mind if Ann commits me for a dish.

As always, the guys went way overboard, making not only the brisket, but mini crab cakes for an appetizer, a wonderful salad with apples, spiced pecans, and a maple dressing, as well as an old-school apple cake for dessert.

Ann and I kicked in the sexy potatoes, a Savoyard cheese and potato casserole called tartiflette which I covered in a prior post, a bowl of herb mayo for the crabcakes, and a delightful magnum of Chianti Classico. All in all, we had a phenomenal meal that would be impossible to get at any local restaurant.

Out at a restaurant or at one of our homes, it's always such a pleasure to have dinner with Rob and Dyce. Not only do we have wonderful conversation, but when we do it at their house, we our dog fix playing with both of their pups. Having lost both our dogs in recent years, Ann and I are being a bit jealous of our freedom to go on a whim, to travel, and to not worry about finding pet care. But we both love dogs so much that we still need to get our dog time and that's what we get from Rob and Dyce's girls.

Smoked Brisket with Tartiflette
Lola Loves Ann
Crab Cakes with Herb Mayonnaise
Brisket Ho!
Slices of Brisket with Smoke Ring
It's a Party When You Crack a Magnum
What wine to pair with smoked brisket? It is beef and so it is going to want a red and a pretty big one at that. My palate runs to wines that are lighter bodied, higher acid, and less fruity. For me, major grape varietals that fit this profile are Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, and to a lesser extent Tempranillo. Because it's beef, I opted for a bigger more extracted Sangiovese, a Chianti Classico. Of all the Chianti sub-zones, Classico seems to me to be the best match with beef, but then a great Brunello would have been delightful as well.

Spiced Pecans
Delightful Salad
Rob's Apple Cake, More Savory Than Sweet

It looks like Rob and Dyce are headed to California for Thanksgiving and we won't be able to get together again until early December. I'm feeling dinner at our house and I'm looking for an excuse to make braciole, if I don't get overruled by the powers that be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...