Thursday, November 30, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

It's Thanksgiving once again and each and every Thanksgiving, I am blessed to be able to have so much for which to be thankful. But it seems this year of 2023, I really do have extra cause to be especially thankful. In particular, I do not know how I would have navigated two surgeries and the death of my father without Ann by my side. There are many, many other reasons I have to be thankful this year, but that is too long a list to compile and Ann trumps all of them.

Roasted Guanciale-Rosemary Turkey Thighs with Gravy
Pasta Flavored with Sausage, Leeks, Celery, Thyme, and Sage
I look back fondly at all our Thanksgivings past and have no choice to conclude that Thanksgiving at our house is not the raucous, noisy, and crowded affair it used to be. For decades, including before my time with Ann, Thanksgiving was always a feast involving a lot of people, family at times, but mainly people who did not have any other place to celebrate this holiday. A dozen people would have been a small crowd and one year, before Ann's time, we counted 35-40 people for the big feast.

Now that we are empty nesters, it's generally just the two of us and my heart really isn't in putting in a ton of work to not share it with others. My sister and I were lamenting the day before Thanksgiving that we'd much rather cook for a crowd than for two. At least she got to cook for 8 or 9 people this year. Don't get me wrong. I love cooking for Ann, but I think we both miss having company for our big holiday celebration.

Regardless, Ann and I had a great meal although much simplified from years past: turkey rillettes, roast turkey, and a Thanksgiving-flavored pasta. The goal this year was to do the prep (and dishes!) in the two days before the feast day and then let the oven do all the work on Thanksgiving.

This year, like many years, we started our feast day with turkey neck rillettes on crostini with cornichons. Rillettes are a spread of cooked meat in fat, similar to, but more rustic than pâté. They are a wonderful use for the neck meat leftover from making the stock that I use to make the gravy (and in years when Ann makes dressing, to moisten it).

Turkey Neck Rillettes on Crostini with Cornichons
Warming the Rillettes in Front of Fire
Rillettes need to be at room temperature (or in the winter, slightly warmer) so that they will spread easily. It was too chilly in the house to warm them on the counter, so I came up with a way to warm them gently in front of the fire. I got odd looks from my wife, but it was a success.

Sparkling Wine with the Rillettes
Rillettes, because of their fatty nature, need something acidic to work against that fat. So, I top them with cornichons and serve them with a bracing sparkling wine. Any high acid wine would work, but I think of all the choices out there, sparkling works best. This was Crémant d'Alsace.

Homemade Sausage for the Pasta
Two days before Thanksgiving, I made a small batch of sausage for the pasta that I would bake on Thursday. This is ground pork shoulder flavored with white wine, sage, thyme, rosemary, fennel pollen, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt.

The day before Thanksgiving, I assembled the pasta so that I could pull it, in ready to bake form, out of the refrigerator on Thanksgiving and put it in the oven while the turkey was roasting. The pasta started with cooked aromatics: leeks, celery, rubbed sage, and fresh thyme leaves.

Primary Pasta Flavorings: Celery, Leeks, Rubbed Sage, Fresh Thyme
Vegetables Sweated and Removed to a Mixing Bowl
Sausage Cooked, Then Mixed with a Spoonful of Flour
Pint of Heavy Cream, Cooked Until Slightly Thick
After cooking the vegetables, I browned the sausage that I made the day before and added a big spoonful of flour. Once the flour was cooked a bit, I added heavy cream and cooked it until the cream thickened a bit. The sausage and cream mixture joined the sweated vegetables in the mixing bowl with pasta that I cooked to just al dente and then cooled under running water. Everything all mixed, I adjusted the seasoning and put the pasta into an oiled baking pan. I topped the pasta with a lightly oiled mixture of panko and the breadcrumbs leftover from making the crostini for the turkey rillettes.

Thanksgiving Pasta, Ready for the Refrigerator
The End Result
Many years ago now, Ann turned me on to putting pancetta butter between the turkey skin and the breast meat to give extra flavor and to help keep the breast meat moist. I have continued that tradition ever since. This year, I made it out of what I had on hand, no longer in the business of curing belly after belly of pancetta for the restaurant. I had some smoked guanciale (pork jowl) and a bit of fresh rosemary in the refrigerator, so I made the butter from those two items. I do have to say that the firmer fat in the jowl (guanciale) chops much finer and more easily in the food processor than does the fat in the belly (pancetta).

Butter, Smoked Guanciale, Rosemary
Turkey Thighs with Guanciale Butter under Skin
Check out That Skin!
Another Thanksgiving in the books, I am beyond thankful for all I have, the people in my life, and the opportunities that I have had and will have in the future, and most of all, for a tremendously rewarding relationship with Ann without whom my life would have little meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...