Monday, November 27, 2023

Turkey Neck Rillettes

Turkey neck rillettes are pretty common as an appetizer before our Thanksgiving feast and are a happy side product of making stock for the gravy and dressing to accompany our turkey.

Turkey Neck Rillettes on Crostini with Cornichons
Rillettes are a type of charcuterie, essentially a rustic form of pâté in which shredded cooked meat is mixed with fat to form a spreadable paste. I used to make all manner of rillettes for our charcuterie program at the restaurant, but mainly from pork, salmon, and duck, animals that have a really high fat content such that you can cook the meat and let it congeal in its own fat to make a great spread. Alas, turkey has no such fat, especially on the necks so you have to add fat to make the spread.

Making Stock
Roasted Turkey Necks and Aromatics
To make my Thanksgiving stock, I use turkey necks because they are cheap and also delicious. First, I rub the necks with oil and roast them in the oven until they are brown and caramelized all over. Then the necks go into the stock pot with aromatics, in this case, carrots, celery leaves, parsley stems, shallot peels, and leek leaves. They cook until tender at which point, I separate the stock for use later to make gravy and to moisten stuffing. The necks, I let cool to touch before picking the meat from them. It is far easier to pick the meat from the bones when the necks are warm rather than cold.

Picked Turkey Neck Meat, Roughly Chopped
Because turkey neck meat is naturally long and stringy, really long pieces can be difficult to chew. To avoid this, I give the meat a rough chop to shorten the pieces, but as you can see in the photo above, I still leave a decent amount of texture.

At this point, it is time to mix in the fat and seasonings. I like to keep the seasonings really simple, so I seasoned to taste with fresh thyme leaves, salt, and a few scrapings of nutmeg. Next, I mixed in enough softened fat to make a smooth, spreadable paste. In the best of all worlds, I would have used duck fat to make the rillettes, but I'm no longer running a restaurant with gallons of duck fat on hand. (This is why our sweet-and-sour brussels sprouts were so good: seared good and hard in duck fat with pork belly scraps and shallots before being finished with caramelized sugar and white balsamic vinegar!). So I used a mixture of bacon grease leftover from some other meal and softened butter. Lard would have worked great too, especially lard leftover from making carnitas.

Turkey Neck Rillettes Packed Into a Bowl
If I were making rillettes for long-term storage, I would have packed them into jars and sealed the tops with additional molten fat to keep them from the air. In this case, I was serving them two days hence, so I packed them into the bowl in which I wanted to serve them and covered it with plastic wrap before putting it in the refrigerator. On Thanksgiving morning, I gently rewarmed the bowl in front of the fireplace to restore its unctuous texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...