Sunday, May 26, 2013

Thai Winchester, Winchester VA

Sunday afternoon late after I awoke from a short nap after schlepping mulch all morning, Ann suggested that we go get some lunch before picking Carter up at 6pm. And more to the point, she wanted to get some sushi. Sushi options in Winchester are slim. Let me restate that: there are lots of places where you can get sushi but not many of them any good.

Though locals will debate this, the best of our sushi options is probably Awabi on the Old Town Mall, so we headed there even though there were several closer options. [Personally, I try to avoid sushi in Winchester so it's all splitting hairs to me.] But for some reason, Marcus had closed even though he is usually open on Sunday. I didn't check out the sign on the door to see why. We really like to support Marcus: he's a really hard-working guy trying just like the rest of us in our restaurant community to make a living and support our families.

In the spirit of getting something light, we stopped a few storefronts further north on the Mall at Thai Winchester where we would have sat outside except that all the shaded tables were occupied, so reluctantly we went inside. I know all the staff really well there and they always take great care of us as they did on Sunday.

I let Ann pick the dishes. I usually get the Roasted Duck Noodle soup because I love pho and this is the closest thing to it that I can find to it that is also close to my office on Mondays when I am looking for a quick bowl of soup between chores. And I was in the mood for something lighter on Sunday.

Summer Rolls

Something Fundamentally Wrong Here, Drinking Singha from a Chang Glass

Cellophane Noodle Salad


Roasted Duck Salad

Spicy Seafood Salad
I am happy to report that all these dishes were well done. That hasn't always been the case as they have struggled under the weight of three restaurants. The quality of the cooking has been up and down over the years and for the last couple of months, it seems on the upswing again. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...