Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Breakfast Treat

It is very rare that other people cook for me. I can see that my being a professional chef could be intimidating, but I am sure that people don't really understand that chefs love it when others cook and that we are not at all picky eaters and we don't rate food. We just eat it and enjoy ourselves, wallowing in the luxury of not having to cook for once. One thing that I love about my Annie (among the myriad reasons) is that she will cook for me. It doesn't happen often, but I love it when it does. I take that back. She does cook during the week so that there will be leftovers in the fridge when I come home at night, but I'm talking about cooking a planned, sit-down meal, a real rarity given my schedule.

This past Sunday, she planned to make breakfast for us. I was getting more and more intrigued as the week went on as she asked me to score both goat cheese and shiitakes for her. I mean, goat cheese and shiitakes is just a fantastic combo, so I was getting to wondering what deliciousness she had in mind for them.

On Sunday morning, as I was reading the news and doing my sudoku, she was in the kitchen working away making an awesome goat cheese and shiitake bread pudding and bacon candied with sriracha and brown sugar. After the bread pudding baked and while the bacon was in the oven, I made mimosas for us. Does it get better than that?

Shiitake-Goat Cheese Bread Pudding Strata

Bacon Candied with Sriracha and Brown Sugar!!!!

Yum!
Ann called this concoction a strata, but I am not about to go all chef on her and tell her that to be a strata, it has to have strata (layers), otherwise, it's just a savory bread pudding. Thank you baby for a fantastic breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Ahem....It was layered - Bread, shitakes, custard, REPEAT
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mushroom-and-Three-Cheese-Strata-102187

    I love you too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...