Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mara Zinfandel

Mara Zinfandel Russian River Old Vines 2007
Yesterday after upgrading our woefully decrepit iPhones (a 3 and a 3GS) to 4S models, we decided not to go out to eat for dinner as we had planned. Instead, we decided to enjoy what will undoubtedly be one of the last opportunities to sit outside on the patio and enjoy a bottle of wine and some salame and cheese.

While Ann pulled together some cheeses (left from our wedding a couple weeks back), salame, and her recently made fig jam, I went in search of a bottle of wine. Given that we were having fig jam with goat cheese, I wanted something that would work with the dried fruit notes in the figs. And one of the first bottles I spied was this Mara Zinfandel from the Russian River Valley in 2007.

As a Redskins fan, I no doubt should despise this wine. But I don't. I have not had this bottle before but I have a couple other Mara wines that have been really good. This wine starts with a ton of dark fruit overlaid by a persistent raisin flavor. I would wish for just slightly less ripe grapes to reduce the raisiny flavors and to produce a less fruity wine in general. The acid and tannins can barely keep the fruit in check. While I like this wine and appreciate that it is very well made, I am greatly spoiled by Bill Easton's Amador County Zins.

It was a great afternoon to sit outside and relax. Sadly our stay outside was short-lived. The late afternoon started off beautifully but as soon as the sun got behind the trees, it was time to head inside. The chilly temps may make it difficult to sit outside, but they put us in the perfect mood for red wine. I am so glad that it is red wine season again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lamb Chops and Gigantes Plaki

Spring is starting to arrive in fits and starts here in Bend although one day will be warm and sunny and the next brisk and cool. There'...