Monday, October 15, 2012

Huevos con Chorizo

Huevos con Chorizo; Chimichurri
I'm a big walking contradiction (in many ways, and here's one). I love breakfast but I cannot bear the idea of putting food in my face early in my day. Lunch is generally my first meal of the day, though I don't mind a little snack after I have been on my feet for at least two hours. On Sunday morning, we were sitting around (one of the highlights of my life, I assure you) mapping out our day when the inevitable question surfaced. You know, the what's-for-dinner question.

I kicked around a lot of ideas in my mind but they never got vocalized until the point where that glorious Mexican dish popped into my mind. Yes, my favorite breakfast dish in the whole world is huevos con chorizo. When I proposed huevos for dinner, Ann said in her inimitable way, "Breakfast for dinner! What's not to love!!!!!" (Is that enough exclamation points?)

I usually make my own chorizo, but am not averse on a lazy Sunday to picking up some already made at the local tienda, which we did on the way home from the Valerie Hill winery, along with a bunch of cilantro, because I wanted to make a green sauce to top the eggs with.

The sauce I had in mind was a very quick chimichurri-like salsa verde: finely minced red onion, minced garlic, finely chopped cilantro, salt, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. This pungent acidic sauce is just the counterpoint to the super rich eggs and sausage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oregon Badlands: Reynolds Pond

It's been about three weeks since the ice melted on the Deschutes River Trail and I've been taking advantage of that to walk through...